Provides direct supervision to a group of children in seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
- Supervises a group of children.
- Serve as a role model for participants and peers.
- Plans and implements program activities that is culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings including but not limited to the two-week onboarding camp training.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, drop off/pick up procedures, incident/accident reports, accurate head counts, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen-First) in all interactions.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children, preferably in a day camp setting.
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc.
- At least 18 years of age (The age minimum may be higher depending on state law and YMCA policies.)
- CPR, first aid, AED certifications, and child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
The Barbara B Jordan YMCA, founded on Christian principles, is a charitable organization with an inclusive environment committed to enriching the quality of family, spiritual, social, mental and physical well-being. Through group exercise classes, youth programs, swim lessons, adult health programs, and more, we aim to build a healthier Morgan County. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive.